Sunday, July 21, 2013

Help With Barn Repairs




I had gutter repair at the barn yesterday. One of the horses had bumped it with their head and knocked it loose on one end, making rain wash over it and flood into one of the stalls. I went over with gutter nails and tools, ready to fix my problem. I do not have a ladder at the barn so found a feed bucket that I could stand on. Now equiped with all my tools I climb onto the feed bucket and go about working on this gutter. Gerald and Edward are the two kittens pictures above sitting in the feed trough. They were found in the woods where someone had thrown them out. Apparently they are very grateful for being rescued because they want to be held all the time. If you sit down they jump into your lap. If you stand up anywhere near the barn they begin to climp your leg, wanting you to hold them. Such grattitude is really amazing. How do you be mean to something that is that grateful to you????? (A side note, any of you who read my blog know who they are named after. With names like that, they are always going to be treated really good)
Also pictured above are the other babies that live in my pasture. Three of them weight around 1200 pounds each while the fourth weigh around 800 pounds.
While I am standing on the feed bucket, Gerry and Eddy are all around the bucket wondering what I am doing. Also standing around and getting closer and closer are the equine babies that live there. While I am holding a nail and hammering above my head, while standing on a feed bucket, Gerry and Eddy begin to climb up my legs (at this point I am so grateful I am wearing a thick pair of jeans) Next all the the other babies have gathered around so close to me and the bucket that I can reach out and touch each one of them. I should have used Sage to sit on and I would have been taller but not sure if any safer.
Once Missy bumped the bucket and I thought myself, Gerry and Eddy were about to go down, but I managed to save it. I worked about 30 minutes under these conditions. Several vehicles drove by and one even slowed down to look closer. I had a cat hanging from each leg with very large animals all around me. Must have been a real sight.
The gutter was repaired and I am happy to say worked perfectly yesterday when we had a rain shower. Made me feel so proud.
I also am thinking that I should invest in a small step ladder. At least when I am knocked off the ladder I will not have to hear about why I should not be standing on a bucket.
Everyone have a wonderful day and tell the ones you love that you do love them. We never know what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment