Thursday, April 18, 2013

The eyes of a horse (donkey too)



Hello Everyone. Pictured are the members of my equine family that live in my horse pasture. They are Lil Ben, Hope, Sage, and Missy. Hope and Missy are the newest family members. When I look into the eyes of these beautiful animals I see confusion and sorrow. Hope and Missy lived with Gerald's brother Edward for 17 plus years. Missy is 17 and that is the only person she has ever lived with. Hope is 28 and she had been with Edward for what I believe is about 20 of those years.
Then the horrible monster called Cancer came to see Edward and he lost his battle. What was to become of the horses he loved so much. They have come to NC to live with his sister. Horses have great memories. They remember everything, but especially remember those who love them and are kind to them. Edward loved his horses and treated them like his children. My heart goes out to these beautiful animals. First the one person who took care of them and loved them just disappears one day to never return. They do not understand why. Then a couple of months later they are put on a trailer and traveled 22 hours to their new home. To strangers. They have to get used to new surroundings, new people, new food, new friends. They must wonder where Edward is. They must wonder why they are in this strange place.
My heart goes out to them. When I look into their eyes I see confusion, sorrow and loneliness. I know they miss Edward and wonder about him. I know they miss Oklahoma and wonder why they had to leave. I love them already and they have only been here about 3 weeks. I try hard to show them they are welcome and this is their new home that will show them love and kindness. I try to show them it will be ok and they are ok. I try to show them they will have a good life here. Their new Mother tries very hard too. She loves them and babies them and treat them very good.
Sage and Ben have had to adjust also. They were used to getting all of Mommy's love and now they have to share some. Sage has always been the boss lady of the pasture and now she has to keep Missy in line to keep that job. Ben is not used to having so many women all around him and hides in the bushes to get a moment of alone time. When I look into their eyes I see confusion and wonder. They wonder why these two new horses have come to live there. They wonder why Mommy gives part of their love to someone else. They have to share the barn and everything else. They must wonder if they have been replaced in my heart. I try to show them I love them as much as ever. I try to show them it will be ok and they have new friends not horses they will have to battle with. Their world has changes just as much as Missy and Hope.
The horse eyes will tell many stories if you just look into them. You can see love, sorrow, kindness, and pain if you just look. I am looking forward to the day when I look into the eyes of all four of these wonderful animals and see love and happiness looking back at me. One big happy family, even if part of them have four legs.
Tell the ones you love that you do love them. We never know what today holds.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment