Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Grass ???!!!xxx***???!

Part of the construction at the barn was to grade some of the ground around the barn hoping to stop water from running into the stalls. Water and Mud is a real problem due to sloop of the land there.
I had the opportunity to plant a different type of grass so I would not have tall weeds around the barn. I was excited. Well I was excited. Now I am mostly annoyed and aggriviated. I researched to determine the best type of grass that would grow under the types of abuse it would encounter there. Dry temperature, large animals walking around on it, and being on a hill. The local feed and seed store recomended the perfect seed and I got double what the gentleman thought I would need. Always go large and get more. I planted this seed as soon as grading was complete and the heavy equipment stopped driving on the ground. That night we had a very heavy rain and almost all of my seed washed into the pond. Then it rained hard and heavy for 3 more days. Oh well, not to be discouraged I went back to the feed and seed store and bought more seed and replanted. The weather man said the chance of rain was only 30% so I assumed things would be OK. The very next morning we had what is called a gully washer and guess what. All my grass seed washed into the pond. OK, I do not accept defeat very easily so I go back to the feed and seed store and purchase more grass seed. I go back and once again plant grass seed. We even had a light sprinkle of rain that afternoon so I felt good. My new grass had been watered and things were looking up.
The next day when there was only a 20% chance of rain, there was a huge downpour of rain at my barn that lasted about 15 minutes. I was at the barn when it happeded and I could see the rain washing toward the pond. Probably most of my grass seed was going with it.
Well the good news is that most of the water does run away from the barn and not into the new stalls. The other news is that I think once again my grass seed had washed away. My grass seed is blue, so when I walk out around the barn I can still see some seed there. I decided not to plant again but see what happens. Well we have had no rain. I do not have running water at my barn so I cannot water my grass. It has been a week with no rain now. Finally I went out yesterday and carried a bucket of water and watered my grass seed as best I could. Nothing is coming up that looks like grass. I have some really good mud though. Well not even mud anymore because there has been no rain. I am going to wait another week and if I do not see anything coming up that looks like grass I will try once again to plant grass. Funny, the grass I bought was suppose to come up under any conditions and would grow anywhere. I must be doing something wrong. A friend said in about 3 weeks I will have so much grass because it probably did not wash away and I keep putting more seeds out. I hope she is right. I will let you know.
Everyone have a great day and tell the ones you love that you do love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment