Friday, February 8, 2013

Frieda with Naturally Curly Hair

This is Frieda, from the Charlie Brown (Peanuts) cartoon. She has naturally curly hair. She loves her naturally curly hair.
I have naturally curly hair. I do not love it. I have been unhappy with my hair my entire life. When I was growing up my Father loved long hair on girls, so I was forced to have long hair. Long curly hair is a disaster. It constantly has tangles and looks like you have put your finger in a light socket.  All my friends had long straight hair and could have many hair styles. I could just have long and frizzy.
For a short time curly hair came in style. Everyone wanted the curly look. But the curly look they wanted was long curls that did not become frizzy. That is not naturally curly hair. That is man made curls that stay in place. The first thing I did when I became old enough to make my own decisions was cut my hair. Short curly hair was more to my liking. I thought anyway. The style was always short and curly, but the frizzy was much easier to manage. Short hair was in style and I could at least be half way in style. Many times older ladies will approach me and ask me who did my perm because it was wonderful. Once I told a lady that the person who did my perm would not work on just anyone. She insisted on knowing the name and I told her God did my perm and he was not in the hair style business. She was offended. I found it very funny.
Well now, I am trying to grow my hair a little longer. Recently I was out and about wearing jeans, boots, a very large hoodie and a baseball type cap. Someone thought I was a boy from a distance. A boy? I guess the jeans and very large hoodie threw them. Ha Ha
Well in a couple of months I have to go to a large event to honor a friend. The dress code will be jeans, boots and maybe hats. I want to look like a girl, so I though some hair hanging out from under the hat might help that along.
Now long hair is against everything I am. I hate the frizzy, just got out of the bed look all the time. I hate having it touch the back of my neck. I really hate having to work at getting it dry every morning after I shower. I am doing something that is against everything I believe, just to try and look different at this event. Maybe I should just cut off the hair and do my very best to pass as a boy. This would surely backfire and I would look like a girl for sure. Maybe heavy make-up and large jewelry would do the trick. I could come off as a drag queen. Ha Ha
I will continue to let it grow for now, but I must tell you, this is annoying me so very much. I cannot stand it touching my neck.
Frieda, what in the world were you thinking loving that naturally curly hair???


No comments:

Post a Comment