Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My visit with Socks

I went to see Socks yesterday. This is the last time I will use that name. The rescue organization has given her a new name. Their belief is that when a horse gets a new start they get a new name to go alone with it. I am sorry, but I do not remember her new name. I do remember it was a pretty girl name that suited her. She has gained some weight but is still very weak. She was laying down enjoying the morning sunshine when I got there. It was a very warm day for this time of year so probably a good say to just lay and relax. They came over and fixed her a bucket of feed. She has a bit of trouble coming over to get it. They say she is still very weak in her hind legs and has trouble standing when she does lay down and she does lay down alot because she is in such bad shape. She is getting food 3 times a day. Imagine being fed 3 times a day when you are used to no food and starving. She is very piggy but I can understand that. When you have been hungry for so many years you are afraid someone will take it from you. She had a bath and some of her mites and lice are gone but she still needs more treatment for that. It is a slow process because the medicine she has to take to get rid of all parasites is very strong and she can only take small doses at a time. The farrier is coming today to do her feet.
Poor girl. She was negleted for so long and needs so much care to make it. The rescue organization is working very hard to give her all she needs for a chance at life but her condition was so bad when she was finally rescued they are just not sure if she will make it. I hope she does.
She allowed me to rub her yesterday and looked at me. I do not know if she remembers me but I will never forget her.

No comments:

Post a Comment