Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Making new friends

I have been given a wonderful opportunity the last few weeks. I have made some new friends. Making new friends is an exciting time for me. I do not trust easily so I approach everything with great caution. But a couple of things have happen in the last few weeks that make me hopeful that I have a few new friends. I really do have trust issues. I have a funny story about my very best friend in the whole entire world. I love her so very much and she is means more to me than she will ever know. When I first met her I really did not trust her and could almost say I was not sure I even liked her. She came to my parents house as my brother's date. She was slightly older than him, and he was only 18 at the time. I am normally not one to make age an issue, but there was something that I just did not approve of. Not even sure it was the age, but something. I expressed my concern to my mother who just thought she was wonderful and so things progressed forward. Well after a few months my brother announced they were going to be married. I still did not think this was a good idea. I had found her to be a nice enough person and kind and all the things that were good, but did not have a good feeling about the marriage. Just one of those things you cannot explain. Well anyway they married and she and I got to know each other. The more time I spent around her the more I liked her. We really began to hit it off. Honestly I do not remember how many years, but maybe 4 or 5, the marriage begin to crumble. As things like this happen, I tried very hard to remain neutral. Really hard when one of the parties is your brother. They divorced but I remained very good friends with her. The friendship continued to grow and folks still grows to this day, many years later. She is the most wonderful friend anyone could ever ask for. We have great times together and love each other very much. We have both changed and evolved in our lives but always been there for each other. She has remarried and gone on with her life and I stood up for her at this wedding. We are just always there for each other through good and bad. She has the best shoulder to cry on that I have ever used and hope will always be there. I do my very best to give her one as well. We just plain old enjoy each other and laugh and have a great time. And it never gets old. I love her.
I tell this story to say this. If you do not give people a chance you might miss out on a wonderful friendship. I am so grateful I did not close my heart and mind to her when I first met her like I was tempted to do. Look at what I would have missed out on. Something wonderful that has brought so many great things into my life.
I have made some new friends in the last few weeks and I really hope they grow into better friendships.
It is an exciting time.
Smile at someone today and you might make a new friend.
Everyone have a really wonderful day and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment