Friday, November 2, 2012

November the month of Thanks

A friend of mine that also writes a blog uses all the days of November to write about things she is thankful for. Great idea. I have many things to be thankful for, but will not copy her and write about them each day. I did see something once that said, What would you do if you woke up this morning with only the things you thanked God for yesterday. Interesting statement. Watched a movie many years ago, and really do not remember the name, but the theme was, Would you give up everything you ever had for everything you ever wanted. I do remember in the movie the guy thought this was great until it happen and he realized his life had not been that bad after all. All the things he thought he wanted meant he had to give up all the wonderful things he had. It really changed his life.
Many years ago there was an accident that almost took my father's life. This accident happen in early October, but my Dad survived and was at the table for Thanksgiving. My grandmother was alive then and my Dad's sister was also there for Thanksgiving dinner. She said let's all go around the table and say what we are thankful for today. Honestly I do not remember what everyone was thankful for on that Thanksgiving day, but we were all thankful for my Dad to be there with us. There have been many changes in my life since that Thanksgiving day so many years ago. Many. I will not write about all of them, but trust me on this one, there are so many it would take me a very long time to tell you about each of them.
As we grow older we become more and more thankful for small things we took for granted in our young life. As loved ones pass and go on to their next life, we appreciate the time we have with the ones we still have. We are thankful for true and honest friends. We are thankful for lessons learned about life and love and honesty.
During great saddness I have learned to be thankful for the time I had with someone and try not to dwell on the fact that they are gone. I have learned that replacing the hurt in your heart for that person with fond memories is a great thing.
As my parents grow older and their health gets worse I am thankful for the memories of my childhood and healthier times for them.
I am thankful for new found friends and have learned not to take them for granted. Really thankful for old friends and espically the one I love so dearly that is like a sister to me. She has often been the rock I leaned on when I thought I was going to just fall over from despair.
November is here and it is the month of giving thanks. Take a moment and look around you. Be thankful for what you have. Someone is out there wishing they had just half of what you have.
Open your heart to new friends that are sincere and open your mind to new thoughts that will make you happy. Be kind to someone. Be thankful.
Thank you to everyone who reads the ramblings I write and I hope each of you have a great weekend. Smile at someone and mean it this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment