Friday, October 5, 2012

Sage

Well Good Friday Morning to Everyone. Looking forward to a long weekend. I am going to the Rodeo to watch a good friend run in the Barrel Racing Finals. I am sure we will all have fun.
All of you know I have a Quarter Horse named Sage. I love this horse so much. She was a gift from a dear friend, plus she is the perfect horse. (Most of the time)
Yesterday morning when I got to the barn for feed time, Miss Sage was showing signs of colic. Colic as you know if not good. If they get down and roll the results can be fatal. Sage was kicking at her stomach, which is one of the signs. I thought, oh no, here you are doing this and I have no one to call for help. In the past if something like this was going on I would have called my friend "G", but I do not have this option. I thought of all the things he had taught me and went into action. First I listened for gut sounds. I did not hear any at that moment. We started walking. Keep them on their feet and keep them moving. We walked for a little while and she pooped a little. Great. I listened for gut sounds, and thought I heard them but was not sure. We kept walking. After a little while, we had a larger poop. Great!!! I listen again and heard gut sounds this time. I really heard them. I was about ready to call the vet, but felt we might be OK. I checked on her several times during the day and she was doing well.
I think we have made once again. I changed Sage feed last week to something with less fat and more vitamins, so maybe the problem. Going to watch closely and see.
I tell this story, to remind myself I can do this. A lot of the time I do know what to do when something goes wrong with this horse, I am just not sure of myself. Spent too much time leaning on someone else. I feel good when I make good decisions and things go right. I think I can do this. Yea for me and just pat myself on the back. Now, off to the barn this morning and I hope I have a 1200 lb horse standing there to greet me not laying down in the pasture. Oh, I am not over confident folks. I do have the vet on speed dial.   :-)


Everyone have a wonderful weekend. I will let you know how I do at the rodeo. Oh, be kind to each other. Life is short.

1 comment:

  1. So glad she is feeling better. Rodeo when and where? Alana, well we all would love to go to that.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete